Everyone talks about the topics of new resolution and lifestyle changes when the new year begins. I want to talk about it a few month into the year to see if you are still thinking about it. Is Vagabonding – vagabond living, of lifestyle design in your mind?
“Often people tend to live their lives backwards; they try to have more things, or more money, in order to do more of what they want, so they will be happier. The way it actually works is the reverse. You must first be who you really are, then do what you need to do, in order to have what you want.” – Margaret Young
Are you ready to leap, to engulf you new lifestyle, the one that you have always wanted, but where afraid to even think about? You are not alone, there is a lot of people on that boat. The problem is that there is always an excuse not to even think about it! Some are good, and some others … like, I’m 45 years old and have a family and a mortgage, can I still dream about becoming a location independent or a vagabond lifestyle designer?
Understand that you don’t have to quit everything and jump into the abysm of the unknown. You just have to make the internal decision to change and that is enough to start with your very first step. Once you make that descision, pay attention to the universe around you, thing will start shown in your life, such as books, stories, articles, conversations, people, etc,. Here is a great article “How I’m Living a Life By Design.-posted on GOOD”
Well, I will start with a quick story – After the financial crisis of 2008 I took a serious look at my Life and my bucket list (what was accomplished and what wasn’t), and that’s when I realized that the only thing that it is important in my life is to be “Free and Happy.” To me being free and happy is to spend more time in places that I like and work on project that are really fulfilling while maintaining a financially sustainable life.
To seriously pursue this I realize that I needed to simplify my life even more (get rid of crap and pay off debt). “Get rid of what you don’t need. Free up your space and your mental energy, and then use the money you earn selling that excess crap to move your financial and lifestyle goals forward. Go to Man Vs. Debt to get an idea on how to get started.
To provide the income needed to support my lifestyle I needed to create a sustainable business model, one that provided me full control of my time and my income regardless of what was happening around the world. That is when I started to look at building a sustainable business model I could bring into my life the necessary income to provide me and my family with the opportunity to work remotely from anywhere and to pursue the nomadic lifestyle I want. I divide the sustainable model in three phases; 1) Creation, 2) Configuration, and 3) Capitalization. Click here to learn more or go to the Work & Biz Models Section.
Is this just crazy talk? Is vagabonding a viable lifestyle? Can I start a new lifestyles? “The answer to all is a resound -YES of course you can!” Vagabond Lifestyles Community members are anywhere from 18 to 64 years old (or maybe more, yours truly Vagabond in Chief here is 52 years old and started when I was 36). If what you want is to spend more time with your friends and family over time, live simply and create an economically sustainable business, our community will help you with a plan, a blueprint that you can tailored to your lifestyle goals as opposed to just your financial goals – thus giving you a more well-rounded lifestyle. If you have not downloaded your FREE! copy of Vagabond Lifestyles Blueprints, you can do so by click here!
I classify people in one of three categories; First, you have the ones that are either comfortable and somehow but not content with their lives on one extreme or hate their lives on the other extreme. The second group are battling choices and don’t know which way to go. And the Third and last group love their lives. Again the three categories, the comfortable or life hater, which are in a highway to no-where, and that is the majority of them that are in the famous rat-race scenario. The group that hate their life feel that they are on a dead end street and trapped. The main problem is that they don’t want to do anything about it.
The second group that are nor happy nor sad are in some sort of flow, but feels that they are on a 4 way stop sign where they need to decide which of the three ways to go. This group just have a descision to make. Living Behind Work by Tom Ewer is a great site that you should check it out.
And the last group are happy and in the flow-constantly looking forward to challenges and changes in their lives because they know that changes are constantly coming. This is the adventorous bunch the travelers, the vagabonds in deed.
This article in not about the ones that are comfortable or feel that there is nothing they can do! This is for the majority two, the ones at the 4-way stop sign and the ones facing challenges. Although the adventorous maybe happy, they could take some ideas and resources from the article as well.
There is no life on being comfortable or content, because you will never get out of the rat race and at the end you will realize that you just wasted your life and you will end up dead, like the rest – dead end, end game, hating or wondering about life. The believes of this group are insane. Do you know the definition of Insanity? To keep doing, what you’ve always done and expect different results.
Now let’s focus on making the necessary changes to enjoy the lifestyle that we want.
Vagabonding 101 Starts Here! If you want to start changing your lifestyle blueprints, here is my suggested steps. Are you ready? Now if you really want to change your life, buckle up that here we go;
1. Start by getting rid of old baggage. Inventory everything you have, starting with your closet, I know there are pieces of cloth that you haven’t use in the last 2 years (at least).
a. What you can sell?
b. What is garbage?
c. What can be donated?
2. Clean your place and sell everything make money with what you can. I know this is one of the toughest thing you will do, so here is a suggestion on how to go about it.
a. First round -least emotional
b. 2nd round – can live without
c. 3rd round – down to the bone
3. Continue with other closets, storage, garages, etc and follow the above steps.
4. Once you get started here then read and start doing the exercises on Vagabond Lifestyles Blueprints. If you have not downloaded your FREE! copy of Vagabonding Lifestyles Blueprints, you can do so by clicking here!
5. Lets start thinking about an Idea or a business or a project that you’ve love doing. Start by moving to doing what you love. Here is an awesome TED talk by Scott Dinsmore of Live Your Legend Live Your Legend is about to you and your freedom. To finding the work you can’t not do, and using it to put your dent in the world. And to surrounding yourself with supportive and inspiring friends and a community that makes it possible.
6. Then we will follow the steps on the Vagabond Lifestyle Blueprints to create a biz or career that we love that will provide us with an economically sustainable model.
7. One step at a time- First create a product that you can get paid by generating Leads like a seminar that you can charge $20-$40. Simply, make your firs $100 in the new biz
8. Create a sustainable business- With the above product get it to produce your first $1,000
9. Then create a second product that you can charge $500-$1000
10. Grow the business to your like – get it to sustainably make $1,000 a month or more
11. Then get it to the monthly income that you desire.
Don’t miss reading the nomadic living Bible-Vagabonding by Rolf Potts
Writen by Vagabond Elmer, founder and curator of the Vagabond Lifestyles blog, a community for those people interested in living a simple, economically sustainable, and nomadic lifestyle.
Let me ask you for two simple things;
1) -If you are not a member of the Vagabond Community – “Subscribe” below, for future updates of feature articles and other great resources for Vagabond Living.
2) -Take a moment and comment below and/or share this article with others